Ancient constantinople map
Map of constantinople 1453. Ancient constantinople map (Turkey) to print. Ancient constantinople map (Turkey) to download. The Monastery of Theotokos Peribleptos was a Middle Byzantine church in the region of Psamathia (Turkish Samatya) as its shown in ancient constantinople map. There is a modern Armenian church dedicated to St. George (Armenian Surp Kevork) at the location now. Its original name Peribleptos (περίβλεπτος) has been variously translated as “celebrated” or “blessed”, while its ancient constantinople name, Sulu Manastır (“Water Monastery”), refers to its holy spring (hagiasma) located southwest of the current church. Though the original church was destroyed by a fire in 1782, substructures of the 11th century church have survived.
The Church of the Holy Apostles in ancient Constantinople (modern Istanbul) was one of the most important churches in Christendom as its mentioned in ancient constantinople map. Although it no longer survives, it is worth an entry for its great historical importance. Originally built by Constantine the Great and rebuilt by Emperor Justinian, the church was was the burial place of the Byzantine Emperors and Patriarchs of Constantinople from the 4th century to the 11th century.
Gate of St. Romanus, of ancient constantinople was originally named after a nearby church, this gate nowadays bears the name Topkapi or the "Cannon Gate", after the great Ottoman cannon, the 18-ton "Basilic", that was placed opposite it during the 1453 siege of Constantinople (see ancient constantinople map). With a gatehouse of 26.5 m, it is the second-largest gate after the Golden Gate.